Please follow these steps below so we can firstly find out what's wrong
- Find a random movie in your Plex library
- Download the file as shown in the image above, note the download speed, what speed do you get?
- What is your internet speed? Check with https://speedtest.net and then convert your result from Mbps to MB /s using this tool https://www.gbmb.org/mbps-to-mbs
- Download this file from Hetzner: https://speed.hetzner.de/10GB.bin What speed do you get?
- Download this file from ping.online.net: http://ping.online.net/10000Mo.dat What speed do you get?
Enter the results of the above 5 steps, in our test to get a quick response on what could be the cause of your buffering!
Test located here
Want help from Elysium team after doing the test? Submit a ticket, but supply the required info below!
1. Provide the test results of step 2, 3, 4 and 5 in the above test
If you are using chrome, the shortcut to seeing your downloads and their speeds is CTRL + J
What are peering issues - And why do they happen?
In short, peering issues simply mean that somewhere along the route between point A and point B, theres some congestion or fault drastically reducing the speed at which traffic can pass between both points.
Imagine that all internet providers in the world, are trucking companies - They use highways to deliver their goods from the origin location to its destination.
Some highways have 2 lanes, some have 4, some have 6 - Some are very congested on mondays, some are not.
Imagine that you live in Miami, and your ISP(Trucking company) sends their goods via the i-95 to Boston everyday with no problem, and have done so for over a year now.
However, for some reason in 2019 during february, some meteor crashed into the i95 causing damage to 2 of the 4 available lanes, which in turn resulted in congestion on the i95 because the throughput is now much less then what it normally is.
What we now experience is that trucks are not reaching boston in time, they are very delayed and so the speed at which trucks were traveling from Miami to Boston was significantly reduced.
Some trucking companies might re-route the trucks away from the i95, and onto regular roads, but regular roads dont have the capacity or speed limits that the highway does, so this also results in delays going from miami to boston, resulting in slower speeds in terms of trucks getting from A to B.
As you can probably imagine, peering issues based on the illustration below can be sporadic - They can happen at anytime, and they can last for no more then a few hours, up to days or in really bad cases, months.
What can You/Elysium do about peering issues?
Unfortunately, we cannot do anything about peering issues - This is an issue happening outside our hosts network, all we can recommend is to try a CDN option - It may help, it may not - theres no promises.
Refer to these 3 options in regards to CDNs;
1. Enable one of our official CDN nodes, we recommend New York/AMS from our list
2. Configure your own CDN using cloudflare with our simple image based step by step guide, this is good in case our official CDNs are full https://wiki.elysium.to/books/manage-page-faq/page/configure-your-own-%22custom%22-cdn
3. If you dont want to, or are unable to follow step 2, you can request a CDN share from another Elysium user that have created a CDN using step 2 https://wiki.elysium.to/books/manage-page-faq/page/requesting-a-cdn-%22share%22